page1 | page 2 | page 3
On January 2, 1959 , the Palestine Missionary Baptist Church
of Jesus Christ was organized under the leadership of Rev. Earl Abel. The first service of eleven Christian men and women full of the faith and the Holy Spirit, united themselves into a body of Christian believers, was held in the home of the pastor at 3317 Askew. The next Sunday the Linwood YMCA located at 3416 East Linwood was secured as a place of worship, where services were held for four years.
On August 22, 1959 , four lots of ground were purchased, on which our first sanctuary was built. It is now our Wedding Chapel. This purchase was a mere four months following the organization of the church.
On September 17, 1961 , we held our first ground breaking service; the membership, then totaling 165, believing, “With God all things are possible.” Mark10:27. We decided to build a church without backing except individual pledges by the members. We were encouraged even with the setbacks to walk forward with renewed strength and faith.
April 10, 1970 arrives, and we hold dedication service for the completed educational building.
The first of many soul winning Noon Revivals was held on March 5, 1976.
April 3, 1980 , the third ground breaking service for a new and larger house to worship and praise our Lord.
August 9, 1981 , a SABBATH that we all could sing, “ Praise God from whom all blessings flow ”. We gratefully and prayerfully held our first worship service in our current sanctuary. It seats 1,600 people; has an elevator servicing all four floors; Prayer Room; Pastor’s Study; offices for the church staff; classrooms and a well-organized Library.